Taloforum.fi

[urbaanin keskustelun mekka] Suomen johtava rakentamisaiheinen valokuvaus- ja keskustelusivusto.

Mikä on Taloforum?

Alakerrassa käydään jutustelua mielenkiintoisista rakennusprojekteista. Täällä ei välitetä korkeusennätyksistä vaan iloitaan myös pienemmistä rakennuksista ja vanhemmista arkkitehtuurin helmistä.
tekijänä ch1le
The time has come for me to do this, as projects are picking up pace at the harbourside :). This is the Fjordcity or Orestad of Tallinn ;)
The area of it is bloody massive 500 HA, it includes parks, new city, and a nature reserve ;), and ofcourse harbours :).
Current situation overview of the designated "downtown" bit, (pic is a year+ old)
Kuva

now, the plans... heres the work of Architecture bureau "kosmos" (or Space), they are also doing the UC rotermanni quarter.

The "big picture", overview of the designated dense area:
Kuva
the northern pier:
Kuva
a vuew from a cruiseship to the northern pier, yes those are buildings :D
Kuva
another overview:
Kuva
northern pier:
Kuva
Kuva
the bit of the development that is near Kadriorg park and the New road Northern Pass. The big structure is the location of our very own Waterfront Opera
Kuva
some "streetscape" renders:
Kuva
Kuva
another overview:
Kuva
backside view, the blank area in the foreground is another more elaborate plan they did, i will feature it in a second:
Kuva
another streetscape:
Kuva

now to the more elaborate plan of the Admiraliteedi Basin quarter:
in their mind it would be a multilevel city, walk on different levels, there would be cafes, markets etc :)
Kuva
WTF:D
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva

All this is by Architecturebureau KOSMOS...
In later posts ill concentrate on what has been done, and what will be done :)

The area near Linnahall and Northern pier recently got a more elaborate detailplan showing what how much so on...
if you want you can see the detailplan here (http://www.tallinnlv.ee/lvistung/bin/do ... 071CD8639E)
according to it the area will have 400 000 sqm of new space. 150 000 Residential space and 250 000 office and business space, that means there will be approx 1500 new apartments in that one area. The northern pier by that plan which is approved and will go like it is) will get a "roof" built overit making the entire thing 2 storeys high, on it, other buildings will be built, and along the whole thing a promenade :)

IF you did check the plan i gave the link for... the green area designated the pedestrian areas :)

now for some projects that are UC.

Merikaru Hotel... started construction like half a month ago, the architectual quality is low, nothing special, too simple blah, me not like!
render:
Kuva
Location(circled with red):
Kuva

New residential quarter next to Kadriorg, also next to the coast (almost next to it) Started construction some time ago, 6 buildings are ready, and rest are UC:
entire project will be finished by january 2007. total cost... some 300-400 mio € (not sure)
Overview:
Kuva
buildings 14, 12 and 10 look like this:
Kuva
buildings nr 2 look like:
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Location (red circle):
http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/504/ ... oja9yz.jpg[/IMG]
I reckon the nr 2 buildings look okay, quite innovative, the other 3, blah, too simple.
The designs for the other buildings are not known yet, even though they are uc...
Rotermanni Quarter
Old factory buildings 100 - 170 years old, will get reconstructed into offices, apartments everything, also will get new buildings, ill concentrate on the new buildings:
Kuva
location inside Rotermanni quarter, to the north is the harbour and Admiraliteedi basin (next to which is Merikaru)
Kuva
view from top:
Kuva
the dark building:
Kuva
the white building:
Kuva
brown building:
Kuva
orange building:
Kuva

Status(couple of weeks old):
Kuva

(there are MUCH older UC pics, VERY OLD(4-5-6 months)! - thread copied from SSC, will update soon)
-------------------------------------------
more news on the harbourfront:
Kuva
The developers of the Admiraliteedi area: see the purple buildings lot:
Kuva
say they will start construction in the coming year - 2006. About 10 news buildings will be built there. construction will take 3 years. On the first floors of the buildings shall be offices, shops, cafes and onwards from there to the 6th floor (buildings are 6 floor high) apartments. According to the plan next to the admiraliteedibasin will be a 40 meter wide promenade, and through the quarter will go a 24m wide main pedestrian street, which will be awesome, will be lined by cafes, shops, trees. The plan also sees the crossing of the heavily trafficated Ahtri street - by galleries or something, so the new area will be connected with the "old" city centre and Rotermanni quarter. The plan calls for about 600 apartments.
--------------------------
in a related article:
Harbour area will drastically change in the coming years:
Speaks about the new huge building with a hotel, spa and the biggest waterpark in the nordics(?), which should be ready by 2007. Next to it is UC Rotermanni area, where 300 new apartments are UC. A first for downtown would be a 24 meter "street" running through the quarter and which will be covered by a transparent glass roof 16m high.
----------------------------
Tallink SPA u/c, first floor aboveground, first cornerstone officially places yesterday, pics from me from some days earlyer, well okay, you cant see the actual construction, just the cranes, investment 450 mio eek, SPA hotel 290 rooms:
(pic taken from the same point as the second pic i posted of the other HUGE building UC, just turned 180degrees :))
Kuva
----------------------------
Plots next to ROtermanni area, approved, will go uc any time now (if i understoond article correctly)
The area between this new development and Rotermanni, will be a pedestrian street/promenade, that in the future will lead to Linnahall (The huge monolithic building built at the seaside)
The building with the atrium (roadside) is a hotel, the building right next to it (green colour) Is another Hotel, the building to the right from it offices, businesses and some apartments at the top floor, the one above it - building raized on the first floor level to allow people to move under it :P, and finally another business/office/residential building. They also plan cafes.
Kuva
build time... 1.5 years (like written in postimees)

the area has buildings on the sites atm, (except the big hotel with the atrium), those will get demolished i guess, but they are pretty poor architecturally anyway...
---------------------------------
SOME KIND OF VISION - IDEA
The winning idea was to transform the north-west jetty (an historic landfill site) into a concert (cultural-entertainment) island, by cutting it away from the mainland and accessing it by bridge and boat.

The facetted main buildings are glazed and highly illuminated forming a symbolic ’city lantern’.

Not necessarily an operahouse, one idea was to interest Frank Gehry to design it, to bring Tallinn onto the map of Europe like Bilbao.

Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva

AUTOHORS:
LEMBIT TORK, ERIK KONZE, INDREK POTTISEPP

from TORK architecture bureau
-----------------------------------------------------------
tekijänä ch1le
This huge building right next to Merikaru Hotel is UC now... it will be 52 000sqm, and 7 floors high, will enclose an entire block! And basically open city to the sea.... dont have many renders of it... architects finnish :lol: Evata.

This is one side of the building (looking from the city towards the harbour)
Kuva
tekijänä OlliMolli
We already on MSN, so I ain't gonna rant on about how great these projects look. All I'm gonna say is a big WOW. The whole TLN downtown development is fine and all that, but the harbour looks better. It's got denser blocks, it seems, and a far more innovative planning. You might wanna add the picture of the "super structure" -thingy - it would be pretty high up in the list of Hki's biggest buildings if it were built here. ;)

edit: sry, you DID add the pic. :D
tekijänä ch1le
a small 3d render of the side of the harbour area between the terminal and linnahall (the big massive concrete building where the foilferries go to)
Now this is not the actual designs, merely the 3d shapes and size of things to come.
Kuva
tekijänä Whose Homepage
O WOW [/b] ch1le!!! :smt023 IN-credible! :shock: What a thread! :smt023

The amount oof construction (both u/c and planned) going on in Tallinn is mind boggling. :smt004

Thank you for being such a diligent guy :smt024: and putting it all down for us to share & admire. :love10:

I'll buy you a beer or 2 next time we meet. :occasion5:
tekijänä ch1le
@Wh
Your Too kind! :) I just copied (kinda) this thread from SSC.... so it wasnt much work! But ill still gladly accept your beer(s)!

Heres a slightly old update of Merikaru hotel.
Kuva
tekijänä ThePKH
I'm so moving to Tallinn. Well, not really but if I had to relocate myself, I'd maybe choose it over HKI. :D

Thanks for the pics.
tekijänä Joka
Looks awesome!

Now all we need is a Helsinki-Tallinn tunnel making them a twin-city so Helsinki can have a piggyback ride on the glory-train ;)
Would be seriously awesome to be able to take a metro down to Tallinn.

PS. What "super structure" are you guy talking about?
tekijänä OlliMolli
Joka kirjoitti:
PS. What "super structure" are you guy talking about?
This one:
http://www.postimees.ee/070106/gfx/2603 ... 54ceda.jpg

ch1le once called it a "super structure" which is does go a bit over-board, but it is big. More than 50'000 sqm of space, (I read somewhere that it would be more than 60k, actually) so it is about one half of the size of Pasilan Virastokeskus and inifintely more beautiful.
tekijänä late-
What about trams? There would seem to be tram tracks in the first illustrations. Are these plans concrete or only speculation?

I'm I interpreting correctly that the idea in the illustrations would be to move the alignment of the Kadriorg branch closer to the sea and then connect with the current terminus with a single track loop?
tekijänä ch1le
@ late
Its definitely in the plans to also put a tramline to serve the harbour area directly, and in the plans the city and transport officials require a study of a tramtrack ;). City plans to connect the airport and harbour directly with a tramline.
tekijänä Whose Homepage
^^ that would be SO great! 8)

Probably won't happen over night though. :roll:
tekijänä OlliMolli
Whose Homepage kirjoitti: Probably won't happen over night though. :roll:
Maybe. By Finnish standards projects like that are taking over Tallinn by storm. Just to exemplify, a reasonably comprehensive metro network has been planned to Hki ever since the 1960's, and the newest plan is to expand the subway some time after 2030. No more than, like, 40-50 years late. :lol: :lol: :lol:
tekijänä Whose Homepage
Lol, MoloX! :lol:

Some people are sitters, others are doers. The same goes for cities: Helsinki seems to be more of a sitter while Tallinn is definitely a doer! 8)

The pace at which Tallinn is changing is amaaaazing!
tekijänä ch1le
so.. i went to the "Late" public hearing of this "super structure" and finally got some renders, these are Shot by me from the paper so the quality is a bit shitty :P
its very finnish imo =). But hey, this is practically Helsinki! :D
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva
Kuva